Monday, November 16, 2009

Ll: Lariat



n.
1. See lasso.
2. A rope for picketing grazing horses or mules.

[Spanish la reata : la, the (from Latin illa; see al-1 in Indo-European roots) + reatar, to tie again (re-, again from Latin; see re- + atar, to tie from Latin aptre, to join, from aptus, past participle of apere, to tie).]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.



Noun
1.lariatlariat - a long noosed rope used to catch animals
running noose, slip noose, noose - a loop formed in a cord or rope by means of a slipknot; it binds tighter as the cord or rope is pulled
rope - a strong line


Said I to myself, as I coiled my lariat and hung it on my saddle-horn, and sat there drunk with glory, "The victory is perfect -- no other will venture against me -- knight-errantry is dead.A Connecticut Yankee by Twain, Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment